How your podiatrist in Jackson, NJ, can help your feet
Your feet are important, and they are also often neglected. If you are suffering from foot pain, don’t ignore it. Foot pain can be a sign of a more serious issue, like a fracture or diabetes. The good news is, your foot doctor has the skills and knowledge to treat your foot pain and help you feel better. Dr. Keith Rosenthal at The Foot And Ankle Center in Brick and Jackson, NJ, offers effective treatments to help your feet.
You can do a lot to prevent foot pain by remembering to:
- Always wear protective, supportive footwear and avoid going barefoot
- Always wear the right footwear for the sport or activity you are doing
- Pay attention to the surface you are walking on and avoid uneven terrain
- Clear your floors at home of any objects which can cause you to trip
- Wash and dry your feet daily and apply moisturizing cream
- Check your feet regularly for any blisters, open sores, or cuts
- Apply topical antiseptic cream and bandages to any open sores
For stubborn foot pain you should seek out the services of your podiatrist. Your foot doctor will examine your feet and take x-rays to help diagnose your foot problem. Some of the most common foot conditions which can cause foot pain include:
- Plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of the plantar fascia, the thick band of tissue running across your heel
- A bunion, which is a large, bony bump next to your big toe
- A hammertoe, which is a deformation of the middle joint on your second, third, or fourth toe
- A foot or ankle fracture, which can be caused by trauma or an injury
Foot pain can also occur if you are diabetic. When you have diabetes, it affects your circulatory, immune, and nervous systems, causing far-reaching problems. Your extremities, especially your feet, can be severely affected. Diabetes can cause loss of feeling in your feet, resulting in injuries, blisters or open sores that don’t heal, resulting in a diabetic ulcer, and lack of blood flow, which can result in amputations. Visiting your podiatrist is a critical part of caring for your overall health, especially when you have diabetes.
If your feet hurt, it’s important to find out why. Your foot doctor is an expert at diagnosing and treating all types of foot injuries and conditions. To find out more about the causes of foot pain and treatments, call Dr. Keith Rosenthal at The Foot And Ankle Center in Jackson, NJ, at (732) 833-2800 or (732) 477-0441 for our office in Brick, NJ, today!